(AGC Safety Awards Winners 2016 Pictured - Representing the first place winners and special award categories in AGC of California’s 2016 Safety Awards of Excellence competition are, seated, l-r: Brian Donecker, Underground Construction Co., Inc.; Jim Blois, Blois Construction, Inc.; Safety Professional of the Year Cole Davis, Nova Group Inc.; Clinton Myers, Myers & Sons Construction, LP; Jonathan Brad Taylor, Flatiron West, Inc. (High Hazard project award); and back row, l-r: Paul Harlow, Syblon Reid (Superintendent of the Year); Rich Howell, Swinerton Builders; Matt Marcotte, Unger Construction Co.; John Sloan, Lyles Mechanical Co.; Gade Mobley, Flatiron West, Inc.; Scott Victor, Nova Group, Inc.; Paul Cocotis, Shimmick Construction Co., Inc.; and Ike Riser, Shimmick Construction Co., Inc.)
AGC of California honored California construction companies and individuals for their commitment to safety, handing out a variety of awards during the 29th Annual Construction Safety Excellence Awards luncheon in Monterey on October 21, 2016. Approximately 130 company executives, safety professionals and AGC members gathered for the prestigious awards presentations held in conjunction with AGC’s Annual Conference.
The program recognizes contractors and associated companies for their commitment to safe work practices through management commitment and employee involvement.
Philip Niemer, director of operational continuity and emergency management for Children’s Hospital, Colorado, served as keynote speaker for the AGC Safety Awards of Excellence luncheon. His address encouraged contractors to take a strategic approach to safety management, to think outside the box when it comes to building a safety program and to provide top-down leadership to improve safety within a company.
Additional speakers and/or awards presenters included AGC of California President Jaimie Angus, Griffith Company, and 2016 Co-Vice Chairs of the Safety & Health Council and Master of Ceremonies, Jennifer Garcia, Reyes Construction, Inc., and Rich Howell, Swinerton Builders
2016 AGC Safety Award Winners
Several individuals and companies received special category Safety Awards of Excellence this year, including the following:
- Harry Eckstein Safety Professional of the Year Award – Cole Davis, Nova Group, Inc
- Safety on a High Hazard Project – Flatiron West, Inc. for the South Fork Smith River Road project
- Safety Effort of a Project Team – Myers & Sons Construction, LP, for the San Mateo Hayward Bridge Deck Resurfacing & Electrical Facilities Upgrade
- Individual Safety Effort of a Superintendent – Paul Harlow with Syblon Reid
- Unique Safety Application – Nova Group, Inc. for an underwater camera inspection system designed for a fuel pier replacement project for the U.S. Navy at Pt. Loma, San Diego
Awards were also presented in three occupational categories – Building, Heavy/Civil/Highway and Specialty – and were organized by the number of work hours completed during 2015. Winners in these categories are outlined below.
AGC of California’s First Place Safety Awards of Excellence winners include:
- Building Division Under 300,000 worker hours – Unger Construction Co
- Heavy/Civil/Highway Division Under 300,000 worker hours – Blois Construction, Inc
- Heavy/Civil/Highway Division 300,001-500,000 worker hours – Myers and Sons Construction, LP
- Specialty Division Under 500,000 worker hours – Lyles Mechanical Co.
- Heavy/Civil/Highway Division 500,000-1 million worker hours – Shimmick Construction Co., Inc.
- Specialty Division Over 1 million worker hours – Underground Construction Company, Inc
- Heavy/Civil/Highway Division Over 1 million worker hours – Flatiron West, Inc
- Building Division Over 1 million worker hours – Swinerton Builders.
Second Place Safety Awards of Excellence winners include:
- Building Division Under 300,000 worker hours – Monterey Mechanical Co
- Heavy/Civil/Highway Division Under 300,000 worker hours – Herzog Contracting Corp
- Specialty Division Under 500,000 worker hours – B.T. Mancini Co., Inc.
- Building Division Over 1 million worker hours – Hensel Phelps.
Third place Safety Awards of Excellence winners include:
- Heavy/Civil/Highway Division Under 300,000 worker hours – Nova Group, Inc
All finalists in this year’s AGC of California Safety Awards of Excellence competition are also eligible to compete in AGC of America’s national Safety Excellence Awards competition, with winners to be announced during the AGC National Convention in Las Vegas, NV in March of 2017
For more information on AGC of California’s annual safety awards program or other AGC safety services, contact
Dave Jones or
Ryan Samiec at (916) 371-2422.